Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Hand Dyed Silk Charmeuse and Velvet

 Here is piece of my hand dyed silk charmeuse. I dyed the silk in a large (gallon) sized zip lock plastic bag.  First I spooned on liquid dye of the three primaries while the silk was inside of the plastic bag, then I closed the bag and put it in the microwave for 2 minutes, stopping every 30 seconds so the bag would not pop open. After the 2 minutes the dye was set and I slowly brought down the temperature of the silk by putting it in a bath of hot water, then one of warm water, then a cool bath. If  the silk is shocked by quick temperature changes it will ruin it  (Ask me how I know!). I then squeezed out the water from the silk and put it on my Aga to dry. 

The next two photos are of silk/rayon velvet purchased from Dharma Trading Company. I dyed the silk velvet the same way as the silk. For this piece of velvet I used magenta and yellow only. I got some nice blending creating a few shades of orange. However, I did not get enough dye on the velvet and there are a few white spots, but overall I was very pleased for my first attempt at dying velvet. It is, also, drying on my Aga as is the last piece.

For this last piece of velvet I used blue and yellow. I got some great greens. The only problem with this is that there are,also, white spots where I did not get enough dye into the velvet. But it is all usable and overall I was very happy with this piece, especially since it was only my second attempt at dying silk velvet.

No comments:

Post a Comment