Wednesday, May 18, 2011

DO THE TWIST



 This is a mini quilt that is 20"x20" that was made for our Bitty Bees first challenge 'A Traditional Block With  A Twist'. The first thought that came to me was 'twist'. That made me think of the 60's, my high school years, the dances and ,of course, THE TWIST. Then I started thinking about what would represent the 60's--love bugs (VW's), bright colors,polka dots, paisley clothes, dances, the Beach Boys  surfing, the slang words we used and this quilt was born. It is a machine appliqued and machine quilted original pattern. The 4 corners do have the traditional star block, but I used Gwen Marston and Freddie Moran's liberated piecing method. There is no measuring and it makes it lots of fun with no two blocks exactly the same. I added some of the slang we used like: flower power, surf's up, tuff, cool, peace man and hang 10 with embroidery thread. This was a VERY fun quilt to design and make. I had found the fabric with the large bright flowers at some time and the Volkswagen (Love Bug) fabric when I  made our son a pillow case. When he was 2 or 3 the Disney movie "The Love Bug" came out and that was his favorite. Since the car's name was Herbie, all VW's were Herbies.
   This quilt, also, was the reason my business and blog are named-Folk Art With a Twist.

No comments:

Post a Comment